Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Rediscovering the Beauty of the Eternal Families Doctrine

My grandmother on my father's side passed away last week at the ripe old age of ninety. I was privileged to attend her visitation and funeral last weekend. Also in attendance were all of Grandma's seven children, as well as the majority of her grandchildren, and even a great grandchild. But as I spent a weekend listening to and observing her seven children, I could not help but notice what a great family my grandmother had raised, and how proud she would be to see them all supporting each other and sticking with each other even after her death. They are a tight-knit family, and it is a joy to be around them while they talk and laugh about their shared memories. It is a beautiful thing. I defy all the world to tell me in seriousness that God desires to take away such family relations in the afterlife.

Someday, by the mercy of our God and through the redemption of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I know that my grandmother will have the chance to accept the eternal sealing power offered by the priesthood of God, and then will she rejoice in knowing that her family, which brought her such indescribable joy in life, will be her family forevermore. What a beautiful thing it is to know that my grandmother, if she accepts the fulness of the blessings of her Redeemer, will triumph over death, rising in the resurrection to meet her husband and children again, never more to be separated. And the things which hindered her from enjoying the perfect fruits her family in life, such as death, sickness, and separation, will be done away. This is the joy the Savior brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment